Tuesday 6 July 2010

many pictures!!

with my ability to upload photos somewhat buggered for the last three days, I haven't been able to put any new pictures on here. However, I've done a fair few little watercolour pieces in these three days. Most of these were my own little way of 'celebrating autumn'. i.e they were painted based on what I saw last autumn at Hope Gap, my local patch. so here they are...
lemony Wagtails as they pass overhead on a clear August morning. It all looks a bit messy and badly drawn but it often takes me a few attempts to get a painting right (not an outright promise though!) done in watercolour.

and a Turtle Dove, which flew overhead as I was admiring a Garden Warbler on 5 September 2009. again I'm not overly pleases with it but they are a difficult bird to see much detail on in flight, shape is more important with this sort of bird and I feel that the shape/jizz of the bird is 'acceptable'. done in watercolour.



A Red Kite, also flying over on 5 September, which flew SE out towards the channel mobbed by Jackdaws. done in watercolour.



A Red-breasted Flycatcher, found by my dad on 7 November 2009 on the patch. Personally this is my favourite out of all the autumn on patch pictures. done in watercolour.

I did a few more pictures too over these past three days. Some were random things that caught my imaginaton, some were flashbacks into other birding moments, all are shown  below;
Swifts on a warm evening, complete with an Alpine among them. Daydreaming with paint? well yes off course, but after painting it I remembered seeing scenes like this over my grandparents house in Cyprus, so maybe I had a subconscious influence! the swifts in here are done in black acrylic and the background in watercolour

an Oystercatcher, partly influenced by the 100's I've seen at Longnriddy in Lothian when we go up north to see family in Edinburgh. Longnriddy is an inspring place for anyone who wants to sketch seaducks or waders, and for anyone who can go I would highly recommend visiting it in winter. the oystercatcher is done in pen and the rest is watercolour



a Common Tern. the background is purely fictitous, partly inspired by simple watercolours in the Jonsson tiny little paintings in Collins Birds of Britain and Europe. the Common Tern is from many observational sketches taken in Anglesey and Rye Harbour recently.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Liam you have a realy good assortment of pictures here , i especially like the Red Breasted Flycatcher and the Oystercatcher is very good , you have really captured the Swifts in fine detail and if i had to choose a favourite it would be that picture , well done .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liam,

    Great stuff! Your washes and use of colour are coming on brilliantly. Also your capture of scant detail to represent a subjectm and evoke a scene. My faves? Turtle Dove, the Common Tern vignette, Yellow Wags overhead, and that redoubtable OC on the rock! Great blog! Keep the artwork flowing and the photos also. Because they are brilliant. That Spider pic is astonishing!

    phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to you both Ron and Phil, I would have replied sooner but was away on school trip and have only just got round to checking the blog again! it's great to get kind comments like these and they really make ll the effort (nah, there really isn't much of that involved when I think about it!) worthwhile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit of a typo above, dunno why I said Ron :P

    ReplyDelete