Thursday 29 July 2010

first autumn '10 stuff

as you can see here, I have started watching my local patch for signs of autumn migration. On the first day I visited, 26 July 2010, one of the most obvious signs of migratin were large flocks of Swifts passing west along the clifftop. s a bird I love to paint, in totally diffferent circumstances to how I usually see them, I really was powerless to resist the urge to draw these beauties, and attempt to capture some of the spirit of those ethereal beings as they zipped along Seafod Head at phenomenal speed.

while this is another bird from that day, a Green Sandpiper. this is another species I quite enjoy drawing, but I very rarely paint them in a nice typical pose feeding on a muddy bank. The reason why is very simple I never see Green Sandpipers feeding on muddy banks! I always get quick views of a dark grey bird with a white arse, but they are probably more impressionablw on my mind in these views, hence I paint them far more like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment