Sunday 20 June 2010

post 1-New Forest-18-19 June 2010

welcome to all on my first post of this brand new project. 

the most important, and often most enjoyable part of bird art is the field sketches. This involves jotting down exactly what you see while you are out, as a visual reminder for when you get back in with your paint. This weekend was one I spent in the New Forest. we were seeig family, so birding was at a minimum. but on the 18th, travelling there, I got a surprise when I saw a Common Tern over Chichester Canal, sussex. In a car drawing isn't easy, but we weren't going too bumpily so my attempts were better than I expected;


Actually in the New forest, we only got out for a walk on the 19th. At Burbush Hill, near Burley, one of the typical small forest pools held a lone Lapwing, perhaps with mates and chicks in hiding. however he looked a bit of a sad sight all by himself. a rather out-of-place pair of Black-headed Gulls kept him company though!

my final sketch is of, although you can't see it very well, an extremely pale Buzzard. it was in Hampshire. Booted Eagle mystery solved?? it was so pale it looked like a partial albino, which it may well have been. Without colours I can't  do it justice, but will work on it!


adios!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liam.....love that common tern on the left

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Colleen, I've just had a look at your blog and its rather good too!

    ReplyDelete